Singleton Council Opposes Warkworth Mine Expansion

Social, legal and health issues related to unrestrained expansion of coal mines in Australia.

Singleton Council Opposes Warkworth Mine Expansion

Postby HVPA_research » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:43 am

Singleton Council meeting on Monday, 21 June, 2010 unanimously resolved to support local communities in their opposition against the expansion of the Warkworth Open Cut Mine towards the Bulga village. The following is an extract of the relevant Council Minutes:

PUBLIC ACCESS SESSION

DP&R30/10 Proposed Warkworth Mine Extension Project & Modification to the Hunter Valley South Project Consent FILE:M6-6

Public Access was granted to the following persons who addressed the meeting:

o Mr John Krey, representing Bulga Milbrodale Progress Association - Objector

o Mrs Carol Russell, Concerned Resident

o Mr John Thomson, on behalf of Hunter Valley Protection Alliances – Objector

o Mr Phil Holz, Objector

Coal & Allied have lodged two applications with the NSW Department of Planning seeking the Minister of Planning’s consent to extend the Warkworth Mine to the west, involving the possible closure of Wallaby Scrub Road, and to modify the Hunter Valley South Project consent to allow the Archerfield Biodiversity Enhancement Area to be used as part of the Northern Biodiversity Offset Area for the proposed Warkworth Extension.

Both proposals have been publicly exhibited by the Department of Planning and any community submissions have been made directly to the Department.

The report provided an overview of the likely environmental impacts arising from both proposals and where appropriate raises issues of concern, particularly local community and infrastructure impacts. The issues arise from the following areas of impact:
· Biodiversity/Ecology
· Air Quality
· Visual Amenity
· Traffic and Transport – Wallaby Scrub Road

The report together with other issues raised by the Council will become Singleton Council’s submission to the Department of Planning.

127/10 MOVED Cr Howlett SECONDED Cr MacBain that:

1. Council not support the proposal as set out by proponent and forward its objections to NSW Department of Planning to the Part 3 Application DA092020, Proposed Warkworth Mine Extension Project and Modification to Hunter Valley South Project, and support the report and include the following:

2. Hunter Valley Operations South modification
  • (1) Council opposes the loss of total 764 ha of Endangered Ecological Communities including the Warkworth Sands Woodland to be offset in the main by a Biodiversity conservation area on the Goulburn River near Merriwa is unsuitable and inappropriate.

• (2) As an offset Biodiversity area this land will not conserve the biological diversity and ecological integrity of the exact locality where losses are incurred and have net benefits transferred to another locality.

3. Local Environmental Impact Biodiversity
  • (1) Council oppose a mining expansion which would transverse through an area which under the 2003 consent was given a Ministerial guarantee to be a Non Open Cut Mining Area and was to be set aside as a conservation area “in perpetuity”.
  • (2) Council requires that the part of the mine extension area known as Non Disturbance Area 1 was guaranteed in 2003 by a Ministerial Deed of Agreement to be permanently excluded from open cut mining. Warkworth Mining Limited was to have approached Singleton Council to have the land rezoned as a Conservation area and an amendment to the Singleton LEP made accordingly. This has not occurred and is to be done as a matter of urgency.
  • (3) Council further opposes the proponent’s proposal for the Warkworth Sands Woodlands as set out in the EA as despite the proponent’s best endeavours and University of New England research there is no guarantee and the unique Warkworth Sands Woodlands could be lost forever.

4. Air Quality:
  • 1. Council looks to a full and independent health study being investigated by the NSW Department of Health and completed for the people of the Singleton LGA, prior to any further large scale development being considered under Part 3A of the EP&A Act 1979.
  • 2. Council requires that an integrated modelling and assessment impact on the areas of Bulga, Jerrys Plains, Broke and Warkworth by dust noise and biodiversity issues such as recently requested by NSW Planning for Integra, Ashton and Ravensworth for all large developments including but restricted to coal mining, power generation, geothermal and gas exploration or drilling.

5. Traffic and Transport – Support the Report and include Singleton Council resolves to maintain the status of Wallaby Scrub Road in its present location for its historical and heritage value. Further Council is committed to protect Wallaby Scrub Road from any development which may seek to degrade, destroy or relocate it.

An AMENDMENT was MOVED Cr McNamara SECONDED Cr Gallagher that:

1. Council not support the proposal as set out by proponent and forward its objections to NSW Department of Planning to the Part 3 Application DA092020, Proposed Warkworth Mine Extension Project and Modification to Hunter Valley South Project, and support the report and include the following:

3. Hunter Valley Operations South modification

• (1) Council opposes the loss of total 764 ha of Endangered Ecological Communities including the Warkworth Sands Woodland to be offset in the main by a Biodiversity conservation area on the Goulburn River near Merriwa is unsuitable and inappropriate.

• (2) As an offset Biodiversity area this land will not conserve the biological diversity and ecological integrity of the exact locality where losses are incurred and have net benefits transferred to another locality.

4. Local Environmental Impact Biodiversity

• (1) Council oppose a mining expansion which would transverse through an area which under the 2003 consent was given a Ministerial guarantee to be a Non Open Cut Mining Area and was to be set aside as a conservation area “in perpetuity”.
  • (2) Council requires that the part of the mine extension area known as Non Disturbance Area 1 was guaranteed in 2003 by a Ministerial Deed of Agreement to be permanently excluded from open cut mining. Warkworth Mining Limited was to have approached Singleton Council to have the land rezoned as a Conservation area and an amendment to the Singleton LEP made accordingly. This has not occurred and is to be done as a matter of urgency.
  • (3) Council further opposes the proponent’s proposal for the Warkworth Sands Woodlands as set out in the EA as despite the proponent’s best endeavors and University of New England research there is no guarantee and the unique Warkworth Sands Woodlands could be lost forever.

4. Air Quality:

• 1. Council looks to a full and independent health study being investigated by the NSW Department of Health and completed for the people of the Singleton LGA, prior to any further large scale development being considered under Part 3A of the EP&A Act 1979.
  • 2. Council requires that an integrated modelling and assessment impact of dust, noise and biodiversity issues on the areas of Bulga, Jerrys Plains, Broke and Warkworth such as recently requested by NSW Planning for Integra, Ashton and Ravensworth be implemented for the Warkworth Mt Thorley Expansion towards Bulga.

6. Traffic and Transport – Support the Report and include Singleton Council resolves to maintain the status of Wallaby Scrub Road in its present location for its historical and heritage value. Further Council is committed to protect Wallaby Scrub Road from any development which may seek to degrade, destroy or relocate it.

The AMENDMENT was PUT and LOST and the MOTION was PUT and CARRIED.

Upon being put to the meeting, the motion was declared carried.

For the Motion were Councillors Moore, Martin, Scott, Howlett, McNamara, Adamthwaite, Harvison, MacBain, Gallagher, Nichols, Smith and Rogers Total (12).
HVPA_research

Re: Singleton Council Opposes Warkworth Mine Expansion

Postby HVPA_research » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:58 pm

Dear all,

Congratulations to all involved. A great result!

Rivers SOS conference went for a day trip to Singleton mines and looked around the towns of Bulga, Broke etc.

I scraped in just in time - 'flying a little blind' but wrote something anyway (copy below) to Singleton Council and had a response confirming they had received and were taking it to the meeting that night.

Have just read your link sent. People power and common sense (by those that approve or object) does happen at times, there is hope for us in this area of The Bucketts Way.

My letter to Singleton Council (below) and I have attached our info flyer
(http://huntervalleyprotectionalliance.com/pdf/Rivers-SOS-flyer-of-The-Bucketts-Way.pdf).

Kind regards
Amanda Albury
ICAG/Rivers SOS Regional Rep.
151 Forest Glenn Road
Limeburners Creek NSW 2324
PH: (02) 4997-5979

> Sent: Monday, 21 June 2010 10:46 AM
> To: recordsmbx
> Cc: Amanda
> Subject: STOP THE CLOSURE OF WALLABY SCRUB ROAD
> Importance: High
>
>
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I am writing to request that Wallaby Scrub Road is not closed allowing
> mining to move into this area, and continue to push people out.
>
> This area like so many in NSW is being literally taken off the map.
> Closing Roads is at individuals expense and should not proceed. Afterall
> we did not ask to have any of this 'thrust upon us', not to many people
> would love the thrill of living near a coal mine or methane gas well,
> extraction plant.
>
> The drive to Singleton, onto Mudgee is depressing from the mining opening
> up huge valley areas, and bushland and rural farm land all disappearing.
>
> Mining and towns/villages, environment and other industries cannot
> co-exist and the minerals council so happy to spruke it can, speaks on the other
> side of truth as I have seen when travelling around NSW with Rivers SOS the
> absolute truth, once mining moves into an area it is turned into a mining
> wasteland and the catchment areas, creeks and river systems are destroyed.
>
> Yours faithfully
> Amanda Albury
> 151 Forest Glenn Road
> Limeburners Creek NSW 2324
>
> PH: 4997-5979
HVPA_research

Return to Coal Mining Expansion