Extension to the Warkworth Mine. Meeting in Singleton

Social, legal and health issues related to unrestrained expansion of coal mines in Australia.

Extension to the Warkworth Mine. Meeting in Singleton

Postby HVPA_research » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Further to the submission by the Coal and Allied Mining Group and the subsequent submission by the Bulga Milbrodale Progress Association (and 110 others!) the matter has come to a head at the Singleton Council.

You may have seen the article in the Argus of 9 Sept concerning the Wallaby Scrub Road closure and the proposed secret verbal report on the approach by Department of Planning on doing a deal with the Council on the closure of Wallaby Scrub Road. It appears the approval by Dept of Planning may be imminent for the proposed mine expansion but may be thwarted by the decision of Singleton Council last year not to approve the closure of Wallaby Scrub Road.

The Department of Planning has approached Council with a proposal to try and change Council’s decision. It is reported that the State Government representatives wanted to offer money so Councillors would reconsider the Wallaby Scrub Road issue (refer the Argus article).

The Council meeting to consider this proposal is to be held at 5.30pm this Monday night 19 September at the Council Chambers. It is important that as many of the community as possible attend this meeting at 5.30pm to show support for the Councillors who will stand by their previous decision not to close or divert the Wallaby Scrub Road.

Please be there and invite as many of your friends as possible for a final show of solidarity for the motion not to close the road.

John Krey (on behalf of the Bulga Milbrodale Progress Association)
HVPA_research

Return to Coal Mining Expansion