Protesters rally against changes to mine planning laws

Social, legal and health issues related to unrestrained expansion of coal mines in Australia.

Protesters rally against changes to mine planning laws

Postby HVPA_research » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:36 am

Link to this page:,
Twitter page:
Facebook page:

PROTESTERS, including residents opposed to mining projects in the Hunter and Gloucester, have called on Premier Barry O’Farrell to overrule his resources minister and scrap proposed new planning rules for deciding mine proposals.

Between 200 to 300 people gathered outside Sydney’s Supreme Court building this morning to rally against the draft changes, while inside coal giant Rio Tinto began its appeal against the overturning of approval for its Mount Thorley Warkworth mine extension.

Rio Tinto spokesman made some rather curious comments which show how they feel about Australia:
Earlier, Rio Tinto warned the jobs of its 1300 mine workers were at stake and even if the appeal was successful, a decision may come too late.

‘‘Already the Land and Environment Court’s decision is forcing us to move into a reduced footprint of the mine which is impacting the scale of the operation, driving up our costs,’’ Rio Tinto Coal Australia chief financial officer Matt Halliday said.

There were also some nasty comments about the broadcaster Alan Jones. To this we must say:

Alan Jones has every right to protest against the out-of-control coal
mining expansion. He grew up on a farm at Acland, Queensland and his
town was destroyed by New Hope Mine, His tireless fight against CSG
and endless coal expansion is, therefore, very personal. It is easy to
support transnational corporations if they pay well for helping to
rape the country and the damage is done to somebody else.

Return to Coal Mining Expansion