* Upper Hunter Dust: Fri 21-Sep-2012, 0 alerts

A permanent archive of the Hunter Valley dust monitoring data for days when NSW health standards were exceeded.

* Upper Hunter Dust: Fri 21-Sep-2012, 0 alerts

Postby HVPA_research » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:06 am

Link to this page: http://forum.huntervalleyprotectionalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=527
Link to Upper Hunter Air Quality Monitoring Network: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/aqms/uhunteraqmap.htm
Link to About Hunter Valley Air Quality Archives page: http://forum.huntervalleyprotectionalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=507

UPPER HUNTER DUST MONITORING 21-SEP-2012 21:00
There were not dust health alerts today.

Upper Hunter dust monitoring maps 21-SEP-2012 21:00

Mount Thorley dust and meteorology chart 21-SEP-2012 21:00

Mount Thorley dust and meteorology table 21-SEP-2012 21:00
http://huntervalleyprotectionalliance.com/air/20120921-21_MThorley.pdf
HVPA_research

Re: * Upper Hunter Dust: Fri 21-Sep-2012, 0 alerts

Postby HVPA_research » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 am

* REPLY FROM EPA *

Sent: Friday, 21 September 2012 4:21 PM
To: jabulga@bigpond.com
Cc: Jackie Teal; Margaret Chafer
Subject: Dust...again.....

Dear Mr and Mrs Leslie, thank you for your email below, which was forwarded to me from my Hunter Office.

As you may know, I have been on leave and I appreciate you taking the time to raise these concerns. I apologise for the delay in responding.

I agree that dust levels need to be reduced in the Hunter and the EPA is adopting a two pronged approach. The first is to set in train a longer term process to reduce dust from mines and improve air quality. The measures that will be implemented are being guided by a study that the EPA commissioned and which was undertaken by Katestone on our behalf. I accept that this will be a long term solution and that you are chasing short term relief – that is understandable.

The second prong is ongoing compliance checking. Last year, the Hunter Office undertook a targeted compliance check of Hunter coal mines. Various unsatisfactory practices were noted and warnings issued. We will continue to undertake unscheduled inspections, as part of our compliance program.

Elsewhere in North Branch, the Armidale Office is trialling a remote surveillance system which allows EPA staff in the office to remotely monitor mining activities. This approach is showing promise, but I am not sure of its applicability to night-time operations. I will seek further advice.

Monitoring the source of dust at night will always be challenging. I would be pleased to receive from you any definitive evidence of “dust producing” practices being conducted at night.

In relation to the unnecessary clearing of land prior to mining or the delays in rehabilitation following mining, this is best raised with the Department of Planning and Infrastructure as it relates to the approval conditions issued for the mine. Separately, the EPA has raised this matter with that Department.

While I cannot offer an immediate solution to your dust problem, I trust that the above information does indicate that the EPA has in train actions intended to address these issues.

I am not based in the Hunter Valley, but visit there regularly. I would be pleased to meet with you when I’m next in the Hunter if that was of value to you.

Regards GD.

Gary Davey
Director - North| NSW Environment Protection Authority |
(: (02) 6659 8230 | Mobile (: 0402 149 300| 7: (02) 6659 8257|8: Gary.Davey@epa.nsw.gov.au

* ORIGINAL EMAIL LETTER *

Sent: Tuesday, 18 September 2012 6:58 PM
To: EPA Hunter Region Mailbox; Teal Jackie
Cc: bmpa@lists.huntervalleyprotectionalliance.com; hvpa list
Subject: RE: Dust...again.....

“Awareness” is insufficient. We are sick of “bog-standard” anodyne replies that do nothing to address the specifics of the complaints outlined! The mines must be held to account when people’s health and well-being is threatened! There are two specific causes of these elevated levels
1) When there is no wind and the highest levels are seen overnight, it is because the mines deliberately engage in activities, likely to produce high levels of dust, under cover of darkness!
2) When it is windy, the high levels experienced, even when trucks are lying idle, is because vast tracts of land, as yet unmined, has been cleared well ahead of the intention to mine! This land was, formerly, well-vegetated and it is the advance clearing, for reasons known only to the mines (? Cost), that leaves dust-bowls generating high dust levels on windy days.
Both situations must be addressed not excused!
The meaningless political double-speak engaged by various EPA correspondents does nothing to allay the fears of nearby residents. Nor does it inspire any confidence in the body (EPA) that professes to be the regulator.
We have had enough! We want clear answers that address our legitimate concerns and speak of action to allay the same!
Enough obfuscation!
Please ensure Simon Smith and Brian Davey are apprised of our dissatisfaction with all responses received so far.
As for your “Environment Line” several complaints have been made with no outcome, not even a call back and it not worth wasting the cost of a call!

From: Jackie Teal [mailto:] On Behalf Of EPA Hunter Region
Sent: Tuesday, 18 September 2012 8:56 AM
To: Judith Leslie
Cc: Margaret Chafer
Subject: RE: Dust...again.....

Dear Mr & Mrs Leslie

Thankyou for your email. The EPA is aware of the reports of elevated dust levels in the Upper Hunter. Data from the Upper Hunter Air Quality Monitoring Network is being used to support regulatory programs which aim to minimise dust emissions from coal mining premises. If you wish to report dust emissions from coal mining operations – please contact the EPA’s Environment Line on 131555.

Yours sincerely

EPA Hunter Region

HVPA_research

Return to Hunter Air Quality Monitoring