CSG mining threatens Sydney city water

Social, legal and health issues related to air and water toxic pollution in Australia.

CSG mining threatens Sydney city water

Postby HVPA_research » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:52 am

September 23, 2010. Sydney Morning Herald, article by Ben Cubby:
Cover-up: secret plans to mine gas
Billions of dollars worth of coal seam gas will be mined around Sydney and the profits split among giant coal companies, including Peabody Energy and Rio Tinto, leaked confidential company document reveals.
Apex Energy NL, a gas drilling company, agreed to help Peabody distance itself from coal seam gas drilling, a highly controversial process that has led to public protests about pollution in Australia and the US, to minimise bad publicity.

September 24, 2010. SMH, Ben Cubby
New front page article by in Sydney Morning Herald today entitled Mine threatens city water shows that the well known rapacity of coal seam gas companies compounded by environmental ignorance of the NSW Government knows no limit.

THEY WANT TO USE HYDRAULIC FRACTURING RIGHT NEXT TO THE SOURCES OF SYDNEY DRINKING WATER !!!!

The NSW Planning Department said it was not aware of Apex Energy's intention to mine alongside Lake Burragorang, and it had granted approval for the Illawarra drilling sites on the basis that the drilling would take place only to test the viability of commercial-scale gas mining.

What else the NSW Planning Department DOES NOT KNOW? Where is the evidence that fracking is safe? Why should it be up to volunteer environmentalist groups to prove that mining companies are doing something wrong?

This is worse then the US, at least in the New York State they have absolute prohibition of gas drilling in NY City watershed. They also have temporary moratorium in the rest of the NY State until the gas industry proves that they can operate safely.
HVPA_research

Return to Coal Seam Gas and Environment