Ex-oil worker blasts shale gas industry

Social, legal and health issues related to air and water toxic pollution in Australia.

Ex-oil worker blasts shale gas industry

Postby HVPA_research » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:47 am

-
HVPA Archive Link: http://forum.huntervalleyprotectionalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=409 .
HVPA Facebook page,Lock the Gate Facebook.
TAGS: gas, drilling, fracking, Canada, ex-driller, MaximDaigle, regulations, 201112
-

This is a story of a Canadian who worked on oil/gas rigs and got sick of the system. He also did not like that his boots were eaten away from spills by unknown chemicals. This is strange - everyone knows from the "information" released by the gas industry that they only use chemicals found under every kitchen sink or in the ice-cream .

Read all at http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/12/01/nb-daigle-shale-gas-concern-913.html
Regulations are not enough

But tough regulations are going to help save rural landscapes from mining problems, according to Daigle.

“Some rig managers will make you contain contamination and pick up everything at the surface. But I've seen many times where you're told just to cover it with dirt, fresh dirt so nobody sees it,” he said.

The former oil and gas worker said he saw the negative impact that drilling was having on the environment as he moved higher up the corporate ladder.

“I've seen enough that I know a fair amount of what can and can't be done right with regulations,” he said.

Daigle also tells a story about a time when a crew he was working with hit an abnormally large gas pocket that nearly blew up the well.

He said the crew pumped thousands of barrels of toxic drilling fluid down the well in an effort to contain it. However, that fluid found its way back to the surface through an unforeseen fracture.

“After four or five days of doing this, these farmers came on location. And they asked what was that black stuff that was coming into the river,” Daigle said.

“And when we were wondering why we couldn't regain circulation of that well, this was the reason. Everything was going up into the river.”
HVPA_research

Return to Coal Seam Gas and Environment