Craig Show: C'mon Barry, give us a reason to believe

Various technical topics related to science, energy, climate change and coal & gas.

Craig Show: C'mon Barry, give us a reason to believe

Postby HVPA_research » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:12 am

Link to this page:
Link to HVPA Twitter page:
Link to HVPA Facebook page:

* Archived from Newcastle Herald*

OPINION: C'mon Barry, give us a reason to believe
By CRAIG SHAW, the secretary of the Bylong Valley Protection Alliance.
Aug. 13, 2013, 10:24 p.

And what are we to think when - instead of leaving the Rio Tinto goliath to fight its own battle in the Supreme Court, appealing the decision that went in tiny Bulga's favour - your government actually joins in on the side of the big guy?

I mean, couldn't you just at least try to appear impartial?

Like I said, the optics aren't good.

Where's the Barry we saw back then, back when there was an election to be won? Where's the super dude in the red "Water not Coal" t-shirt? Where's the Barry who promised no mining in water catchments with "no ifs, no buts"? Where'd he go?

Like many others, I had been clinging on desperately to the key promises that the old Barry made. I believed, under a Coalition government led by that Barry, some sanity would be restored and - most basic of all - some really, really important promises would be kept.

Like giving people a real say on issues affecting their community. (Gloucester, anyone?)

Like the "Water, not Coal" thing I mentioned before.

Like (truly) protecting farmland. (I have to tell you we're not feeling very protected here in Bylong - and I'm sure that's even truer for the folks on the Liverpool Plains.)

Oh, and protecting biodiversity. Let's not forget that one. (It's OK, I won't mention the Pilliga or, indeed, the Warkworth sands woodland that Rio promised it would never mine.)

Now before you go all weasel-wordy on me and try and explain how I'm wrong, or I just don't understand, or how everything that's happening is really for the greater good, let me just say this: I don't buy it. Neither do many others in scores of like-minded groups and communities across the state.

Return to General Research Highlights